Our core beliefs
At Las Lengüitas, we believe:
- Language lessons should focus on optimizing the natural process of language acquisition.
(rather than memorizing lists of words and grammatical rules through explicit language instruction)
- Teaching methods should be developmentally appropriate, research proven and effective.
- Every child is capable of acquiring new languages regardless of their location, life experience, economic status, abilities or disabilities.
- Just as each child is unique, their language program should be too.
- Acquiring new languages should be fun and exciting.
Our mission is to nurture multilingualism, empathy, curiosity and cultural acceptance in children so that they may be open-minded, resilient and able to thrive in the world of today and tomorrow. By training teachers and providing effective, engaging and authentic language acquisition opportunities for kids, we seek to create a more inclusive and equitable future for the world.
Las Lengüitas classes are taught through complete immersion. We use gestures, images, objects and the world around us to make language comprehensible and fun from the very start. Each class is completely personalized for the student in the class. Your child's specific interests are integrated into conversations, stories and games at a level that's best for your child. Each class is unique because your child is unique.
Our classes are effective and our students are successful.
Las Lengüitas was started in September of 2015 as a local extracurricular Spanish program with the goal of ensuring that all of Lansing's children are able to experience the benefits of multilingualism. Since then, Las Lengüitas has evolved and expanded to reach more families in more ways and we have many more surprised in store!